Saturday, January 24, 2009

Viva Mexico!

So we spent some time with Adam's company in Playa del Carmen, Mexico! We had soooo much fun!

There were a million mexican trinkets to buy...on every corner... and from every native...(at least that's what it felt like). Our hotel was teaming with monkeys, peacocks, swans, turtles, and these little muskrat type things....thank goodness no crocodiles in the hotel! :)

We climbed to the top of the temple in Coba, after riding these 1950's looking bikes through the jungle to get there. (I need to find the accent marks on my keyboard, but I don't know where they are :) Adam raced his friend to the top...I mean after looking at this steep climb, I have to ask, 'really, is that necessary?'"


We went to the local Cenote's (which are underground caverns with fresh water lakes)...Adam always wanted to jump first...and the highest (I'm sensing a trend here...) And I jumped too! Some had weird little blind, black fish swimming around. The underground tunnels go for miles and miles.

As you can see the water was AMAZING...and our favorite archeological site was Tulum...just beautiful! We also went snorkeling and took numerous trips out on the Hobie-Cat.

Here we are enjoying local Mexican fare...and of course the monumental Chichenitza...Adam will have to tell you about that day...A long ride in a van, a torn(?) miniscus=a hobbling Adam, and an nonperscribed percocet=Adam throwing-up in the jungle. Hmmm. It was quite a day. But, we're glad we went. And the Cenote afterwards certainly cheered him up.





Our maid service created animals and such out of our towels...we were always interested in what we would find sitting on our bed after our fun adventures...this was the most unusual. Do you know what it is? We still haven't decided, but the sticker eyes and mouth crack us up.

10 comments:

Klare said...

How fun!!! I'm jealous. Somday Darren and I will take a cool vacation like that. ;)

Char said...

Your vacation reminds me of the first time dad and I went to Cancun with friends. We were about your age and needed a vaction about as much as you did. It was sooooo much fun. Doesn't look like the ruins have changed a bit.
So happy you could go this year.
mom

The Peach.... said...

This looks heavenly, and I have to say, that's one little daredevil you married. Love your swimsuit, too!

Jennie said...

Jen-
Looks like great fun. We hope to get to Mexico one of these days. It is where Mike served his mission.

Valerie said...

Man! I wish I were there, especially with all this fun weather we've had lately. You look so good in all those pictures! Too bad vacations can't come more often!

Carrie said...

so jealous...I am so in need of a get away (without kids) You guys look like newlyweds!

Jill said...

Soooo fun!!! I'm so glad you got time away. Vacations as a couple are a MUST!!! Okay, I think that crazy towel thing is either an octopus or a creature from Star Wars:)

Cece Girl said...

We totally thought Star Wars tooo! You know, the one that's Jabba the Hut's prisoner on the chain? Weird.

Ann Dee said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Jennifer Knight said...

Hey, Jen - I'm one of Adam's friends from Simi 5 ward... anyway, I was in Cozumel around the same time! Too crazy. We were on a cruise, though, and didn't do the water taxi over there to Playa Del Carmen. What hotel did you stay at? We are going to the Barcelo Maya next year and doing the Tulum ruins then. Can't wait!