Sunday, September 12, 2010

Picking Berries on a perfect September day...

We did a little berry/grape picking with the Ma's and Pa's. Grandpa's and Grandma's, that is. Okay, the Grandpa didn't pick any, but he cooked the chicken and ate all of Lucy's spoils, so he still gets credit.

There was a HUGE dragonfly caught in the blackberry net...it didn't even look real. And Sophie was freaking out about all the little gnats that flew around when we dove into the grapevines, but eventually she toughened up and proved her worth as a bonafied grape picker.

And from the look on Lu Lu's face, she ate quite a few blackberries (so sweet and juicy). So this bowl should be at least 3 times bigger. And all this produce picking made we want to plant some grapevines of my own, or least a strawberry plant or two. But, we haven't had such great luck with our previous gardens.

My recent gardening experience is as follows: I can grow really big, GREEN, tomatoes that never turn red. And Basil that withers and turns to dust. And onions that forget to grow. Yes. I am a fabulous gardener.

2 comments:

Bernice Madsen said...

Ohhhh, yuuums!! I wish we were there to share in that garden fruit goodness! :o) We've been getting some blackberries from the store, but not even half as good as the ones in Jack and Char's yard. :o) We miss you guys!!

The Harker's said...

I love this time of year for picking berries and apples and things. I too have dreams of someday having a great garden with all these things in it, but then reality hits and I am sure mine would not grow either.:) Oh, well.