Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Party Like It's...1989

So...went to my dear friends 40th birthday party and GASP they had a DJ. A real DJ. Like from some 'members only' club with a wig on and more disco balls than I could count. And at first everyone was like, WHAT? Dance? Us? No. We have like five kids and we can only do the white boy shuffle. But after he started playing 'You Dropped the Bomb on Me' from the Gap Band, I was in. Game. ON.



In high school I LIVED for church dances at the Stake Center...serious party time. And he started playing songs like "True" and "Chains of Love" and I was thrown way back to my UNITS outfit with matching creeper shoes, big bangs and even bigger earings. Long live the 80's. I must admit I even knew every word to "Like a Virgin" and could see my mom's disapproving face in my head. I came home sweaty and hoarse wondering WHEN could I do that again. I think I'm reinstituting the Dance Party at my house with Lucy Gayle.

And I was also reminded why I married my man...sister, he has got some MOVES. I mean his New Kids on the Block routine at his high school talent show is still LEGEND. Serious skillzzz.

7 comments:

Toby said...

You totally need to nominate AW for the ward talent night!

Tricia said...

I am so smiling right now. I can see the picture so clearly in my mind...your outfit, earrings and all, your cute little face, and your moves, baby! Ah, yeah...those were the good ol' days! My, where has the time gone.

So now I miss you. Let's please see each other soon! Really! Oh, and please bring Adam along...I need to see his New Kids on the Block moves...boy, he is a man of many talents, eh?

Welsch Family said...

I didn't know who was writing this post, Jen or AW until the last paragraph.

Awesome Erasure reference. I had 6 of their CDs.

Nick

Cece Girl said...

Of course it's me (jen). I don't think Adam ever looks at our blog, let alone posts on it. :) That's why i can get away with saying whatever I want. hah

Kim said...

Jen, you crack me up. I love reading your blog. So many fun memories inside your mind. I totally forgot about the "units" outfits. How do you remember all of these details? No wonder you are such an amazing writer...

The Piepers said...

This is just awesome. :)

Jennifer Knight said...

Hi... I ended up on your blog after being on Joe's memorial page... and I have to say for the record that we really, really want AW & crew to do the NKOTB routine at our 20th reunion next year. Tell him Sean Wallace is already in. Have him mark the calendar, July 24, 2010, Ventura Beach Marriott. They will bring the house down!

And I am totally in to bribing if asking nicely doesn't work. :-)