Wednesday, August 8, 2012

City Creek...fun and foibles

So I finally ventured out of my lovely little city, to big city life to visit City Creek across the street from Temple Square. First, can I say wow. Totally impressive. The architecture? Beautiful.
The underground parking was spacious, well maintained and well lit, and since it was so early (11am) I was practically right at the doors of Nordstrom. (Which was gorgeous! Too bad I can hardly afford anything in that store.) But their Mother's Lounge and restroom were gorgeous and well appreciated since I am a nursing Mama.

We had so much fun and the Skywalk situated over Main Street was worth the 45 minute drive. We spent the majority of our time at the Disney Store, which was adorable, with it's castle with mirrors to try on things like Rapunzel's Wedding Dress (only $49.50 ;)) and modern white trees with animated fairies on them. So cute!
We even bought these ballet flats for Miss Lucy. Adorable.
The only downside...the parking was pricey...and no one validates...except for Nordstrom, Macy's and Gymboree (Gymboree? Go figure).


Also, the fountains. Let me just say, I love a good fountain. Any water trickling serenely across a beautiful surface will win my heart any time, but I was disappointed with the "Children's Fountain"---the one where The Little's can run around and get wet on a hot SLC city day. It was quite small, and to make things MUCH worse, they have mall security harassing any child who 1) has their shirt off 2) a swimming suit on 3) shoes off.

Really? Children are required to be fully clothed and shoed while running through the fountains (which are clearly designed with frolicking in mind). Might I say one can frolic away at The Gateway Fountains, sans chaffing from wearing wet jeans or concussions from slipping on wet cement. I thought the whole shoe thing was a tad bit crazy. And mall security dressed in full uniform, including velvet hat needs to rule supreme? What a horrible job. I would hate to be the person to squash the freedom of playing in a fountain, by making everyone be fully clothed. I must have watched security talk to every family who was there. A total bummer.

 AND because we were so thrown by the fully clothed thing (I had come prepared with swim suit for Lucy) I went to gymboree and bought her some sale item clothing she could get wet in, (and did get a $1 validation). But alas, in all the faldera, we left said BEAUTIFUL Rapunzel shoes at our outdoor table. Sigh. Lucy is still blissfully unaware of that fact, but I am still quite sad.

 In the end, go enjoy City Creeks beautiful scenery, picturesque shots of towering cityscape, and awesome shopping. But don't go to get wet in the fountains. Save that for The Gateway!

1 comment:

Bernice Madsen said...

We had such fun with you guys!! And yes, poo poo on the absolutely ridiculous children hampering rules for the City Creek fountains! I did not like it one bit! But the shopping was fabulous as were the scenery and children's play area. :o)