Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Non-Florence Nightengale Syndrome


Okay, So have you ever had a day or a week where you realize something about yourself that is not that great? I consider myself quite compassionate, sympathetic, and nice. In general, I think I'm pretty nice.

But this whole taking care of AW 24/7 has thrown me off my game. Granted, he is a lovely patient. Very sweet. Alot of "Could you please's" "So sorry to bother's" and "Thank you very much's". I mean, he couldn't be more nice. But it has been hard to take care of the family (without his help, mind you) and to also take care of him.

Sigh. So it turns out,I'm really not that nice.

I hate to admit I've been tired, grumpy, and longing for the days of a daddy who can climb stairs and give babies a bath, or even a daddy who can bathe, get dressed, and fix himself a meal. And for the times when I could sneak away to Target without worrying the entire time whether AW needs meds, or food, or maybe he has fallen and cannot get up.

Really. Wish I were better. And my hats go off to all of you who have taken care of someone, or who are still taking care of someone. I've been thinking about a few friends and family who are doing just that. Bravo. You really give Florence Nightengale something to be proud of. Me? I'm nothing to shout about.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I am right there with you.....I am not so nice when Nate is sick, definetly something I need to work on! Hopefully he is on the mend!

Linda Abilez said...

Kiana had ACL reconstruction surgery over winter break and it was hell for her for about a week. It took all of us to carry her to the bathroom, get her into the tub, etc. Don't beat yourself up. It's a really hard thing you're doing right now!

The Harker's said...

I'm sure you are not giving yourself enough credit. Most of us can handle having a out-of-comission husband for, what, like a day. Anything after that, you feel exhausted because you really are doing it all by yourself. Keep up the good work, even if you feel like grumbling. I am sure I would have hit my "niceness" limit way before you did.:)

Terresa Tew said...

Oh, Jen. My thought are with you! Hang in there. What... only like 3-4 more weeks of this? Knee surgery, no fun. The one who nurses the patient back to health even more, NO FUN! Don't worry... you really are SOOO nice. I love your honesty but you can't fool me... you are super nice an that's why I always miss you!

Cece Girl said...

Awww....thanks for the encouraging words...things are looking up over here! Maybe only a few more weeks of chaos? I hope. :)

Char said...

I'm sorry to say you probably got your nice genes from me. I'm not that nice either. I'm actually nicer to other people's family - I'm really nice in kindergarten. Just don't give me an out of commission husband. Opps! Now that I've said that, I'm sure that's exactly what I'll get someday. Hang in there. Love, mom

The Peach.... said...

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR. After 6 weeks of taking care of Big Ty, we had one of the biggest fights of our marriage, I'll have to tell you how I flipped out sometime......hang in there!