Saturday, August 15, 2009

Our Trippy VAY-CAY

So we're back from our vacation to California...which should have been fabulous...BUT it was more like THIS: Sometimes it was like THIS:
But mostly it was like THIS:

First: The Good Points:
1. We ate at IN-N-OUT three times, yes count them, 3 times!
2. We saw our lovely family (wait that should be number one)
3. We visited Mark and Tree in their new beautiful home 6.8 miles from the beach...I know, I'm so coveting that situation! :) Actually, the two days we spent with them was the HIGHLIGHT of the whole trip.
4. The cousins loved each other.
5. UHM....I think that's it.
6. Wait...I went to Trader Joe's and bought some beautiful flowers and delish chocolate covered fruit.
7. San Diego is from Heaven...non-windy beaches, warm water, perfectness all around.

Now: The BAD Points:
1. Leo Carillo campground bathrooms are DISGUSTING.
2. Leo Carillo was full of WIND...cold, sandblasting windy-wind which made us build a shelter out of beach umbrellas and coated our sunscreened lips in gritty sand. Lucy WOULD NOT get off my lap...she would hardly venture out into the wind tunnel/formerly known as THE BEACH.
3. While I love Malibu, they certainly need to get a little more shopping/eating establishments/movie theaters.
4. Our tent trailer was perloined out of the church parking lot (with the intent not to return)...and then happily found by the inspired Mark and the awed Adam.
5. Flat Tire outside of Victorville (105 degrees).
6. Air conditioner blows out right outside of Baker (115 degrees).
7. Family chaos: crying, sweating, complaining, hysteria for an hour and a half until Las Vegas. (how did the pioneers do it, really...HOW?)
8. Stay in Las Vegas. (people REALLY go there for vacation? Puleeez. No thank you.)
9. Car late and not fixed properly. Phone dies. Can't find AW. Asked to use some woman's cell phone and dismissed like a homeless street person, haranged and followed by homeless addicts, accosted by bare booby photos (do women keep their clothes on in Las Vegas?), can't use hotel shuttle because car seat is in suburban being repaired, walk a mile in 115 degree heat with "happy" family.
10. Seriously.
11. Arrive home 5am...
12. I need a vacation from my vacation.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

I am worn out just thinking about it! I am sorry about all the bad points! In a couple of weeks, after you recover, you will have a good story to tell that will bring alot of laughs! You did your job as a mom, you made a memory~

Kim said...

I wish we could have stayed until the highlight of the trip, but I'm soo glad I didn't have to go through the last! Our San Diego beach trip was soo unappreciated... No more wind tunnels! Never ever.

Jennie said...

Looks like your vacation was an adventure! Sometimes they just turn out that way. When we went to the Bahamas last year it was a nightmare! I totally know what you mean when you say you need a vacation from your vacation. I think that trip took me three months to recover. I love the pictures of the kids. You look great!

The Harker's said...

There must be something about getting flat tires on the drive from CA to UT. We have had that experience twice in the past four years. The first time was okay, but the 2nd time we were stuck in Barstow for like 10 hours, because it was New Year's Day and we had a hard time finding a place open. At least we weren't in the heat like you were. I take it you won't be heading to Vegas for any family vacations in the near future?:)

Klare said...

I'm so sad we missed seeing you!!
Also sorry about your not so fun trip. Yucky!!
When we lived in Vegas we hardly ever went to the strip! Poeple would come to visit and they would want to go and we would say...have fun!! ;)

Jill said...

I'm so sorry it was so horrible!! Why does that have to happen sometimes? Glad you made it back home safely.

Bernice Madsen said...

OH, so sad. I'm glad you guys got back safe and sound. Sounds like this was kind of a good year for Jaxon and I not to have gone. :o)

Minette said...

It sounds JUST like our trip two years ago! lol..At least we got to see each other this year...don't bag on Vegas we're meeting there in a few months! Remember? I'll call you later! love ya!

Susan Andrus said...

Jen,
I must say that I love your blog! You're an awesome writer and tell things like they are. No sugar coating. I laughed(sorry)when I read about your beach trip because we've all had experiences like that. You'll laugh (someday) for years about it. Thanks for sharing.
Aunt Susan :D