Friday, August 21, 2009

Chocolat

One of my all time favorite movies. And a lovely recipe to go along with it...and I know it's summer and one may not be in the mood for hot chocolate...but maybe after watching Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp, you might be...



And the best line of this movie is: Johnny Depp, "I'll come 'round some time and get that squeak out of your door."

Yes. Please do.

Hot Chocolate with Cinnamon and Chile

Ingredients

cooking chocolate / couverture 1 cup
cream 1 cup
milk 1 cup
cinnamon stick 1 pc
fresh red chile 1 pc

Method

Combine all the ingredients in a thick bottom saucepan (to prevent ant burning)
Using a low to medium heat, slowly bring to a gentle simmer while stirring. This will prevent the chocolate sitting on the bottom of the pan and burning
Once the ingredients have combined and the chocolate has melted, allow to sit on a low heat for 5 - 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse
Remove the chile and the cinnamon stick
Bring back to a boil
Serve in small espresso cups or 1/2 fill larger cups, top with lightly whipped cream and serve topped with grated chocolate and/or a light sprinkling of ground cinnamon

Chef's Tip:

Chile should be placed in whole, this helps minimise the heat from the chile
and gives a nice mildness in flavour

If you can get smoked chillies this adds an even better twist to the drink

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Jen-This is one of my very favorite movies, too! I watched it just the other night after I had a stressful, crazy, draining day. It turned out to be just the thing I needed. Next time I watch I will have to curl up with a cup of this recipe!